Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week Five - Seasons Change and We Give Thanks


Hi moms, dads and guardians.  Indeed, we all have so much to be thankful for.
I'm posting this review of the month on Sunday.  There will be a regular posting Monday evening!
The images below show but a wee fraction of everything that we experienced over the first four weeks of school in our wonderful classroom!


I'm thankful for being given the privilege to teach such a wonderful bunch of children!

 
Wow!  We learned so much in the first month of the school year.
Please note that the blog archive to the right has changed now that we are in a new month.
To view last month's postings simply click on September and you'll find them.
Another reminder is that you can enlarge the pictures simply by clicking on them.
To return to the default look of the page just click outside the picture.



We filled in tally charts and converted the information into bar graphs.
We also learned on which day of the week we were born.


We created our own hot air balloons that would help us lift off with learning in a new grade!


I'm proud of my balloon.


We are up, up and away!


St. Bernard Catholic Church is right next door to the school so we were able to head over to church for our "Welcome Mass".


Each week there was a new spelling list to learn.  I am proud that I am becoming a better speller!


I know how important it is to respect myself, others and the environment.


There were many hurricanes in September.  We prayed for the people who lived in the affected areas.


Here's an image of Mr. Hamer's basement...


...after Hurricane "Lilly" came through a couple of years ago!


We enjoyed when it was our turn to do calendar in the morning.


Families came to meet Mr. Hamer on Program Night.  Mr. Hamer calls it "Meet the Creature" evening!


 There's Mrs. Blackmore, Mme Nehme, Mme Gariepy and Mrs. Daley in the gym on Program Night.


I know what counter-clockwise means.


I love to read stories.


The blocks help me with my counting.


 It's fun ordering books each month.



We love gathering at carpet to listen to read-aloud stories and to sing.


Here is one of the many songs we have learned.


I like when Mr. Hamer reads us a Bible story.


The Water Cycle was very interesting to learn about.


I like working with my friends.



I love my butterfly art.


It was so much fun singing the song "The Twelve Days of School!"



 We liked when we got to outside for early recess.


Hanging out in the outdoor classroom was fun too!


As was playing soccer outside.


We enjoy our healthy snacks.


We know which way the hands of the clock spin.


It was great visiting Ms. Avilla in the Learning Commons.


Our class art adorned the big wall near the teachers' staffroom.


I loved practising spelling with friends.  We were studying in preparation for our test.


"Think Pink Day" was a special day.


Sharing computers is so much fun!


Ms. Avilla would be proud of me as I know how to use my library stick.


Reading at my desk is a joy.


We liked creating the "one of a kind" class balloon where each one of us coloured in a few squares...a true team effort!


It also adorned the special wall outside the teachers' room.


Remember those hot days of September?  We do!  There was actually a nice breeze out in the portapack hallway.


We used our magnetic face figures to help in creating a pictograph which we turned into a bar graph.


Going to gym is a blast!


So is singing new songs!


We love science experiments!


The "Float and Don't" one was a lot of fun.


Everyone is patient for a turn.


Then we had to fill out this cool looking science sheet.


It's always fun when a classmate shares with the group.


While the crossword is sideways on my desk, Mr. Hamer taught me a bunch of ways I can get clues when solving crossword puzzles!


One clue is to look at the numbers and then refer to the sentence clues.
Another clue is to count how many letters are in the word by counting the squares.
A third clue is to use the letters from "already solved" words to help me solve new blank spaces!


Here's our "Seasons" tally chart.


And the bar graph we made from the information.


I love my butterfly art.


At the end of every day we always clean up.


Going on Dreambox was a blast!


So was going on Raz-Kids.


Here's another class book we made.  This one is about our families.


Mr. Hamer's dog, Lilly, often sends us a message.


Franco-Ontario Day was awesome.


We really enjoyed the parade.


We learned about how God created the everything and then we created a class book page as part of our homework in September.


Going to the Splash Pad was so cool...it really was cool!


Flex seating let's me sit in so many places and in so many ways!


Mr. Hamer taught us to look for the equation in a string of numbers.  I did it for homework too and now I know how to do it really well!


I've already completed the letter "Aa" and the letter "Bb".


I learn in so many ways.


I even learn when I am helping others.


I coloured in all of the proper answers.


I was a bit nervous on the first day of school, but I'm not anymore!


Word families are fun!


When Mr. Hamer plays guitar I love to sing along!


I try to remember to get my agenda signed each evening.


Number lines are a big help when adding although I'm pretty good at doing it in my head!


I ran for Terry Fox!


So did my classmates and all of the other children in the school.


Our prayer table is special.


We work hard and we play well together.


I love science!


Mr. Hamer's Aa's are "Aa"wesome!!!!
Pssst...don't worry if St. Bernard is spelled incorrectly...it's meant to be that way so that a student can come forth and make the appropriate edit.

Word games help me learn to spell.


There are so many creative things to play with in the class.


Here's a little creation I made for Mr. Hamer.


This is a sign in the front lobby of the school.  Mr. Hamer will show it to us this week.


Yes, we have a colourful classroom made up of so many colourful friends!


September in school was so much fun!

Day 20



Hello parents and guardians!  I love this image I found on the net.  I would add "Our God" to a sixth pumpkin.  This week, feel free to take the time to ask your son/daughter what they are thankful for.


Creating this blog is a blessing in many ways.  I enjoy writing a little bit about our day each evening when I get home.  The blog keeps families in touch with what goes on in the students' day.  Finally, our office photo-copier broke down and the repair person couldn't make it in today, so I've snapped an image of my weekly newsletter.  Feel free to enlarge the image by clicking on it so that you can read the information.


Seeing as I couldn't photo-copy the homework, here is what if looks like for the week.  Today we read the story Four Seasons For Toby due to the fact that the seasons have recently changed from summer to fall.  For homework, you can get a "head start" even if you don't have the sheet.  Conference with your child and have them complete each unfinished beginning to each sentence for each season.  You may even have room to write two sentences to fill in the sheet when you get it.


Toby the turtle traveled through the seasons from spring.



To summer.



He followed a fence around the farm so that he wouldn't get lost.
Here he is in the fall.



The winter.



Eventually he made it back to the pond.  (We actually read half the story and I've only shown a few pics to whet the childrens' appetites.)  We also discussed what we like about each season, how we adapt and we talked about how the tilt of the earth determines the seasons, not the proximity of the earth to the sun.  Actually the earth is farther away in its orbit around the sun during our summer in the northern hemisphere, not during the winter.



Here we are snapping our fingers as we sing along to a newly learned song, "I'm in the Mood For Singing".  Each verse changes.  One verse is about being in the mood for clapping, another for smiling, still another for snapping (your fingers)...even a verse for laughing!



Yessirree, we are good snappers and good clappers!



Our "Back to School" banner will be changing this month.
I'll post an image of the new one when it goes up in the class.



During lunchtime the children enjoy watching fun videos like Kratt's Creatures.



Recently a painter came by the school and painted fun games on the pavement.



The games are educational in nature.



Each recess I see a bunch of youngsters involved all over the playground.



This one is near the basketball hoop.



Indeed, we all should be thankful for the fruits of the earth God has provided.


I am thankful for a special friend, her mom and her aunt!


Our Weekly Spelling List - Week Five (Quiz will be next Tuesday)
                            Grade One  (short i)                                Grade Two  (short u)
                                 1.   did                                                      1.   run
                                 2.   big                                                      2.   cup
                                 3.   it                                                         3.   tub
                                 4.   in                                                        4.   nut
                                 5.   is                                                        5.   bus
                                 6.   him                                                     6.   fun
                                 7.   fit                                                        7.   rug

Have a great evening everyone and we'll see you tomorrow!
Mr. Hamer OCT

Day 21



As mentioned in my earlier posting, this was the banner in our class for September.



The latest banner showcases the fall colours nicely.



Here's our lovely morning line-up after the two classes that flank ours have already entered the portapack.  We always let the other two classes in first as they have to walk further down the corridor and we would be in their way if we came in first.  The fourth and fifth classes enter the building from the other side as their classes are on the western end of the structure.



Following calendar, we worked on word families again.



This time our focus was on the "an" family.



The children enjoyed coming forth to add a letter in front of the letters "an" to create a word.



Here's what they came up with.  Of course, you can place two letters in front like "clan" but we'll try that another time.



We had fun playing around with patterns today in math class.
While the shapes showcase an "A-B" pattern we learned other ways to create the patterns using the attribute of colour.



Speaking of colour, the boys and girls have been busy creating an "Up, Up and Away" class book to go along with our "Up, Up and Away" wall of the classroom.  We'll be sure to showcase the book's pages in a future posting.



This little friend is proud to be working at the teacher's desk!



Our name tags offer us a plethora of reference information great for grades one and two.



You've got your number line to 20 up top.
Left hand and right hand on either end.
Shapes and colours.



Letter formation with red arrows indicating the proper format for printing.



Images are showcased below the alphabet.



The bottom ruler we don't use for measurement as it is not metric but it can also be used as a counting tool when required.



I recently sat with each student and asked them where they thought their butterfly might want to fly.
This little girl said, "High up over my house!"



"My butterfly wants to make it all the way to Mexico!"



"Mine just loves being in the garden."



"I hope my butterfly makes it all the way to Africa."



"Mine loves to be high up in the clouds."



"Mine wants to fly to the sun!"



"My butterfly looks nice over a pretty garden."



"Mine loves to fly around with its friends."



"My butterfly flies wherever I go."



"Mine flies around all over Ontario."



"My butterfly wants to fly to Syria to spread peace."



"Mine loves to spread good news."



"Mine flies everywhere me and my friends go."



"Mine loves to fly all around my property."



"You can see my butterfly below."


"She loves to fly all around our classroom."



"My butterfly is also below me."



"She always flies where God is."



"My butterfly actually flew away, but he'll be back tomorrow and I'll show you him!"



"Mine is pictured below."



"He wants to fly south to Venezuela!"



"You can see my butterfly below."



"He wants to fly all around my bedroom."



"Mine's below too."



"He wants to fly everywhere my family goes!"

Have a great evening to all our families.  Yes, the photo-copier is still down so you have another evening to yourselves free of schoolwork!"  Mr. Hamer OCT


Day 22



Yes, today is Day 22 of the school year...already!



This week we learned a new song called "I'm In the Mood!"



 We are practising our snapping of our fingers as one of the verses repeats "I'm in the mood for snapping!"  Snapping your fingers sure can be tricky but these young ones aced it!



Calendar time.  My photo is a little out of focus, but this young lad's questions certainly weren't!



He had them eating out of the palm of his hand.



Asking some easy questions to begin with.



Then some deeper thinking ones.



Say, why does Mr. Hamer has his guitar out?



Aha!  Someone is celebrating her birthday.



Singing "Happy Birthday" sure is fun!



No, it's not some form of karate.



No, they're not Ninja moves either.



Kung Fu!  Nah!  We're finishing up the birthday song asking our birthday girl..."Are ya one, are ya two, are ya three...!!!" with all the necessary actions!



Students love to come up front at carpet to read aloud to their peers.



I'm proud of some of my grade one pupils for offering to do so.



Way to go!



Inclement weather at morning recess time brought out the play items to carpet.



Colourful toys are always popular.



Love the creations!



Some proud engineers!



Then it was off to the learning commons.


For our library book exchange.


Sharing chairs.


Sharing the love of reading.


Sharing friendship.


"I love to read!"



We visited the "Makerspace" area for some play.



Lots of Lego to work with.



Here is my mini-creation!



Mr. Hamer wanted me to tell you that he'll share more pictures from the learning commons and from what we do in school tomorrow sometime later on the weekend.  Mr. Hamer has to be at a social gathering tomorrow right after school and he is busy Friday.  So...look in sometime over the weekend for our next posting!

Thanks, Mr. Hamer OCT

Day 23



Yes, please do have a wonderful, relaxing and peaceful Thanksgiving Weekend!



This is the wonderful scene which greets visitors to the school in the front lobby.



Good St. Bernard students...or, perhaps...teachers!



We all have so much to be thankful for.



This morning we had a "guest teacher" as Mr. Hamer was in meetings with all of the Grade One and Two teachers.  The guest teacher brought the children to the learning commons where the junior students involved with our Environmental Team gave a workshop on which items go into which bins.


Here's a quiz.  Where do these items go...blue bin, recycling black box, green compost bin or the garbage can?



What about these discards?



Can you name where these go?



How about this grouping?



Garbage.



Recycle bin and goos paper.  (Goos stands for paper that is still good on one side)



Yes, the green compost bin.



Finally...the blue bin.



A few more pics from yesterday in the learning commons.



Pokemon books are popular.



As is the Lego Centre.



Intense focus and team sharing.



Nice to see the boys and girls using the newly painted playground games.



Snakes and Ladders is a popular choice.



Great for number sense and addition, but we don't want to have to subtract and slip down a snake!



Lots of fun.



The number cubes are in bins near the various exit locations around the school.



Flex seating helps build up the abs!



Too much fun!  Hehehe!



Sometimes you just need a friend to hang out with!



ABCya is a fun educational game the children enjoy.



Finger dexterity.



Sharing among peers.



"This is so much fun!"



"I don't want to disturb others with the sound...that's why I've got my earbuds!"


Just a note to parents to send in either personal headphones or earbuds so the children can listen to the instructions or music that corresponds with the educational programs on the chrome books.




We enjoyed playing some Phonics games on the SMARTboard.



Some taught us about sound recognition.



Initial consonant sounds.



Yup, it is a challenge, but a fun one!



We later created a little fall hedgehog.



With a body and leaves for the body covering.



Students hard at work.



A smile for the camera!



Look up, girls!



Some nice fall colours.



To go along with the colourful shirt.



Carpet work.



Being in groups is tons of fun!



"Here's how mine turned out!"



Over the Thanksgiving weekend Mr. Hamer did a little "giving back" to the community.
He played guitar at a fund-raiser for cancer research.



The six bandmates including to other teachers from the school board.
We believe that over $2500.oo was raised.
Indeed, it is a nice feeling knowing that you helped out others.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Grade One and Two Families!

On Tuesday evening I will be out at a dinner function so the blog posting will be made later in the evening or, perhaps, the following night.

All the best, Mr. Hamer OCT

No comments:

Post a Comment